Thursday, August 5, 2010

Folkwear #233

Folkwear #233

I just finished up this retro 1940s dress for my mother-in-law! She chose the fabric (a pink rayon print with hats and flowers) and pattern (Folkwear #233) and I did the sewing. I love sewing 1940s patterns because of all the fun construction details like gathering and topstitching. A neat topstitching job brings a great deal of satisfaction. :)

Close-up of Folkwear #233

This dress included some "firsts" for me -- most notably, I've never inserted a side zipper before or made a hidden zipper placket. The directions are excellent, though, and I had no problems. I recommend the pattern for intermediate to advanced sewers.

Folkwear #233

I'll pop it in the mail to you tomorrow, Mom S.!

4 comments:

  1. Darling, cute, retro, and yes, many more praise-worthy words that I can't think of at the moment! ;)

    Oh, and off topic: I recently bought St. Elmo at the antique store. For the same price you paid for yours, too! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks great, I'm sure your mother-in-law will be delighted!

    By the way, I love the way you have your hair in the photos, it looks gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely lovely! I love your mother-in-law's taste in fabric, and I must say that you make a positively glamorous model!

    Your sewing, as always, is an inspiration.

    Blessings,
    Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, ladies!

    Cheri, good for you! I must admit I haven't started reading my copy yet so you'll have to let me know how you like it, if you get to it before I do. :)

    ReplyDelete